<body, education> Chartered in 1746 as the College of New Jersey,
Princeton was British North America's fourth college. First located in
Elizabeth, then in Newark, the College moved to Princeton in 1756. The College
was housed in Nassau Hall, newly built on land donated by Nathaniel and Rebeckah
FitzRandolph. Nassau Hall contained the entire College for nearly half a
century. The College was officially renamed Princeton University in 1896; five
years later in 1900 the Graduate School was established.
Fully coeducational since 1969, Princeton now enrolls approximately 6,400
students (4,535 undergraduates and 1,866 graduate students). The ratio of
full-time students to faculty members (in full-time equivalents) is eight to
Today Princeton's main campus in Princeton Borough and Princeton Township
consists of more than 5.5 million square feet of space in 160 buildings on 600
acres. The University's James Forrestal Campus in Plainsboro consists of one
million square feet of space in four complexes on 340 acres.
As Mercer County's largest private employer and one of the largest in the
Mercer/Middlesex/Somerset County region, with approximately 4,830 permanent
employees - including more than 1,000 faculty members - the University plays a
major role in the educational, cultural, and economic life of the region.
prime number theorem « prime time « primitive «
Princeton University » principal type » PRINT »
printed circuit board