Home > Electronics Tutorials > Online Computer Terms Dictionary > F

Online Computer Terms Dictionary - F

friction feed

<printer> A method some printers and plotters use to move paper by rotating one or both of a pair of spring-loaded rubber-coated rollers with the paper sandwiched between them.

Friction feed printers are notorious for slipping when the rollers wear out, but can take standard typing paper.

For printers with a sheet feeder, friction feed is more appropriate than sprocket feed which requires the holes in the paper to engage with the sprockets of the feed mechanism.



Nearby terms: frequently asked question Fresco Fresh friction feed fried Friend FRINGE